Saturday, April 01, 2006

Step 11 - Take time to play

People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing. – Dale Carnegie

We’ve been talking about how important goal-setting is the whole year. Yes, reaching your goals is serious business but you should try to have some fun along the way. It’s called enjoying the journey.

I am a typical Type A personality - one of those people who wants to get everywhere as quickly as possible, no detours whatsoever. So I often have to remind myself to relax and take time out. It’s very difficult for me to take “me time” and just relax. This probably explains why I only had my first ever massage last Thursday.
But what’s all this got to do with goal-setting?

Firstly, when we make time to take a break and have some fun, we generally focus better the other 90% of the time. Notice I said 90%. Obviously if you’re having fun all the time, there’s no way you’re going to accomplish your goals. I’ll share a personal example with you. You all know that I’ve been doing the seminars since July and I felt that I also need to attend a seminar just for me so that I could recharge. I went to a Health and Nutrition thing in Rosebank this past Saturday which I thoroughly enjoyed. I learnt a few new things and also bumped into an old colleague so it was a lovely morning all in all.

Secondly, you’re more likely to do those things that you find are fun. If you see the process of reaching your goals as tedious and boring, then you won’t be committed to be successful in this area. If you take a playful approach, you’ll also find that you’re more productive, creative and original. When you play, you are more energised and enthusiastic. And remember what Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”

Right there you have two good reasons to incorporate more fun into your goal-setting and your life. This is especially important as the year draws to a close.

'Til next time…

Enjoy success
Marcia Francois

Do you want to use this article? You may, as long as you include this complete bio with it: Marcia Francois, the Take Charge coach and professional organiser, coaches people to reach their goals and maximise their potential. She publishes the popular “Take charge of your life” monthly ezine. If you're ready to finally live your dream life, get your FREE subscription now at http://www.takechargesolutions.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home